Friday, March 25, 2011

DIY: Feeding

Using your own spoon is a big deal to a 14-month old. Before it was sufficient enough for me to do the hand-off - scoop the food for her, give her the spoon while guiding it to her mouth. But now, she wants to be in charge of scooping. OK. Sure.

At first, I had a compulsion to continue wiping her hands and face and trying to keep it "clean".... an idea I knew I quickly had to get over. Learning to feed yourself is messy. I get it!

Look at the concentration!

So I've relinquished control and let the mess happen. She's getting better every day. She was flipping the spoon over on the way to her mouth but we changed her grip and now she's much better.

But it still flips often. Thank you, God, for sticky oatmeal.

Yogurt has been another great practice food.

Not to mention how very happy she gets when she gets it to her mouth and she hears our praises! (and she realized I was taking pictures and was being a ham)

There was more on her face and bib (and highchair and pants) than the picture shows but now I'm realizing that's half the fun.

Later I caught her sharing her snack with Rusty. He's such a great, patient dog with her.


No comments:

Post a Comment