Friday, April 1, 2011

Over The Hump

Last Monday, we turned Nora's world upside down. We took away her pacifiers - dun, dun, dun!! Now, she by no means was as badly attached to her paci as some kids are. She only had it during naps and bed time. It was rare she had it beyond that. In many ways, this was a blessing. I think taking it away would have been way worse if she had it in her mouth constantly.

They {the doctors} say the "magic window" to get rid of the paci most easily is between 12 and 18 months. And they suggested to me, especially with the baby coming, that I try to get rid of it before he arrives. So, sitting right in the middle of the window, we did it. (And I use the term "we" loosly as Dan told me after I did it that he would have waited... thanks for the support, honey. He later asked if we weren't pregnant if I still would have taken it away, so I more-so understood where he was coming from earlier. And yes, I still would have.)


So, Monday morning came and I just decided... it's time. Cold-turkey.

I got out a small basket and told her she was a big girl now and it was time to get rid of all her pacis. I had her put them in the basket and we waved bye-bye and I put them in the closet.

The first week's worth of naps were trying. It was so hard to sit and listen to Nora cry for 45 minutes before {sometimes} giving up/exhausting herself and falling asleep. Nighttimes were easy-as-pie. Nights have always been easier. Put her down and didn't hear a peep from her.

I later realized she was also ready to transition from two naps to one and I was still trying to force two naps. When I figured that out, it was like a switch went off. Sunday morning/afternoon (maybe church had a little something to do with it?) she went down like a breeze. No more crying. And it's been like that ever since. Now I feel like I can officially say, I think we're over the hump. We {or she} did it!! We are a paci free household -- for a few months anyway.

And she's still a happy girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment