Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Snip Snip

"Mommy, can you take out my pony?"

She asked me this while I was cooking dinner.  I took it out and along with her rubber band came a big clump of hair.  Bigger than the usual few strands that come out.  My eyes got big but she walked away like it was nothing so I didn't say anything.  A few minutes later I grab the brush to brush her hair out (it was wet from playing in the sprinkler earlier).  As I was combing I kept getting big chunks of hair coming out.

Then it dawned on me.

"Nora, did you cut your hair with a scissors?" I calmly ask.

"Yeah." Like it was no big thing.

I asked her to show me which scissors she used and where she got them.  She got her kid scissors out of the desk in the basement while I was cooking and made two small snips... then came up and asked for her pony out.
This is what came out of her hair as I was
starting to freak out combing.

The oddest part was I couldn't find where she cut it while it was wet.  It wasn't until the next day when I was doing her hair that I noticed the now inch and a half piece sticking out.

Hard to see in this picture.  It's not as noticeable
when her hair is down.  It's when it's up that you can see
it more clearly.

We had a long talk about never taking scissors to her hair again.  When I first discovered she cut it, she asked if I was mad.  I answered honestly and said yes since we've talked about not cutting her hair before but I was more concerned about her safety and focused our conversation on that.  I'm hoping this rite of passage doesn't happen to her again.  Now, it's only a matter of time (hopefully a long time) until Myles has to sport a buzz cut for a while because he took out a chunk of his hair too.

Kids... {insert eye roll here}


No comments:

Post a Comment