| She was thrilled to get it. |
| So much so she kept it on for a good half hour after we got home. |
She didn't know that in just a couple of days Gram would be coming down with her brand new bike. I just kept telling her we'd look for one and get it "soon". Gram came down that Saturday to deliver her bike. Still, Nora was in the dark about it. She knew she was getting a surprise and, just like her mama, wanted to keep it a surprise. So she stood on the porch with her back turned until we said ok.
| So excited to give it a try on a chilly day. |
| The sprinkles were short lived and off she went. |
She got on the bike and rode like she had been riding for at least a year already. The only problem... looking up. Reminded me of the first time or two you get behind the wheel when you have your temps and you look right where the road meets the end of your hood. It's almost scary to look up and out the window. But before long she was looking all around. Couldn't believe how fast she was going for her maiden voyage.
She even had her first fall. And it's a good thing we had that helmet because on the brim was a scratch that just as easy could have ended up on her head if she wasn't wearing it. She surprised my mom and I both as she got up without crying and said, "I'm OK." We praised her up and down, she got back on and rode the rest of the way home. It wasn't until about 15 minutes later she started crying and saying her arm hurt.
She hasn't wanted to get on it since.
She even had her first fall. And it's a good thing we had that helmet because on the brim was a scratch that just as easy could have ended up on her head if she wasn't wearing it. She surprised my mom and I both as she got up without crying and said, "I'm OK." We praised her up and down, she got back on and rode the rest of the way home. It wasn't until about 15 minutes later she started crying and saying her arm hurt.
She hasn't wanted to get on it since.
| Just two days later, she would sit on it (for the purpose of this picture only) but there was no way I could even push her on it. |
| A week later, she would put her helmet on to walk next to it as Myles had a turn. |
| Daddy even showed her he could ride a bike and it wasn't scary at all. |
Cool that Dad was on the bike and going really fast but still wanted no part in riding her own. Her friend, Mallory, came over and brought her bike too. She sat on hers and even went on the sidewalk - the length of our house - painstakingly slow. Even proclaiming, "Yeah, Mom! I'm so proud of myself!!" But would she get on again? Nope. That was enough. I asked her for a few days if she wanted to try again but with little luck. So I just waited.
| Finally, an entire month later, she told me she was ready to try again with the help of my guiding hand on her back. |
She has taught me that she will do things in her own time; I just have to be patient and not push her when she's not ready. Ride on, Sister. Ride on.
Love this!
ReplyDelete