So, this happened this summer....
Yes, that's both of them peddling as fast as their little legs can on two wheels. No more training wheels here.
| Concentration and wind blowing through their hair. |
I
had a feeling Nora, who has always been pretty physical, would be able
to kick the training wheels. And, to be honest, I had a feeling Myles
might be able to also but when I brought up the idea to Nora he wasn't
even three and I didn't want to try yet.
Nora
was a little tentative at first. She didn't want you to let go. At
all. I'd have to trick her and continue to run beside her all hunched
over and occasionally let go. After a few days she started getting her
balance more and more but the confidence just lacked. She would go for
the length of one house and just stop. At this point I knew it wasn't an
issue of not being able to - it was simply getting confident.
Then
there's this one. After just one day of watching Nora he asked if he
could try and I wasn't going to say no. He was just days shy of being
three and we took off his training wheels. From the first time I held
the back of his seat I could feel his balance was spot-on and it wasn't
going to take him long. Sure enough, within two days he was off and
running, or I suppose I should say riding. He caught on quicker than
his big sister which I wondered how she was going to react over. Nora
can be a sensitive little soul so I wondered, as I saw her silently
watching him, if she would be discouraged by his success.
Luckily,
just the opposite was true. It gave her the extra push she needed to
ride past the neighbors' house and be OK with me letting go and not
continuing to run beside her. I'd say it took her about a week and a
half to really get it down. Myles - a day. The day before he turned
three he was riding a two-wheeler.
The
next hurdle we worked on was turning around in driveways and, more
importantly, starting without me holding on. Let me tell you, I spent
about two weeks walking between eight houses to give them one shove so
they could get moving again. Needless to say once they could start on
their own was a big day for us.
And
this is how they spent the rest of the summer. Helmets on, riding
bikes. I loved that I could stay stationary with Greta in the yard
while they rode back and forth all day long with their neighborhood
friends. Bikes are how we took walks too. It meant that I could
actually walk at a decent pace to get some exercise. We even bought a
baby bike seat for the back of my bike so we could take family bike
rides. We all liked those.
| Next summer... a bigger bike for this lady. |
No comments:
Post a Comment