Dan had a work event downtown on Friday so I packed the kids up Thursday afternoon and took them to Gram's for a couple of nights. We were already planning on heading up for the weekend for our annual trip to the Wisconsin State Fair so we just extended our time there.
Our Thursday started out like many of our summer days do, with a morning hunt for real cicadas. I'm completely grossed out by them but the kids aren't so I try to put on a brave face. Who am I to dampen their excitement when they find one that hasn't crawled out of its shell yet?
| Myles proudly holding his critter box, a birthday present from Uncle Greg, filled with six cicadas and two caterpillars. |
| Checking out the stash. |
Friday morning we met my Uncle Greg for breakfast. So nice to see him again. It had been a long time. Right before bedtime the kids and I will often share 2-3 of our favorite things from the day. Chocolate chip pancakes with Uncle Greg topped both of their lists Friday. Warms my heart.
In the afternoon we headed to the river by the park to go crayfish hunting. Warning -- I took along my DSLR so this post is picture overload!
| Monkey see, Monkey do. She crawled all the way to the top! Meanwhile Gram was under her making sure she didn't fall and giving her heart palpitations. |
I was so happy I snapped quite a few great pictures of this boy. Looking back through the past few months of pictures I have I noticed I didn't have many of him that he wasn't making a face, not looking, or blurry!
| He was a little nervous to get all the way to the top but kept trying and eventually made it! |
| Forever striking a pose, usually with that shoulder. |
Finally after some climbing it was time to head into the river.
| Greta didn't get into looking for crayfish but she did enjoy collecting rocks. |
| And watching them make a big splash. |
| The first, and smallest, catch of day went to Nora. |
| Myles caught the "granddaddy of them all" as he called it. |
| Proud of his haul. |
| Setting them free. |
It was a really hot and humid day -- perfect for crayfish hunting. We finished the day with dinner, ice cream and an early bedtime. Everyone was happily exhausted.


I love everything about this. And now I am adding ideas to Christmas lists: critter box and bug net.
ReplyDelete