Sunday, March 8, 2015

Kids' Last Visit with Grandpa Grandpa

On August 10, the kids and I were in Wisconsin for a visit.  It was a beautiful day.  We headed over to see Grandpa.  He always loved seeing them.  He'd watch.  He'd laugh.  He'd ask questions.  He was thrilled when one of them would come sit by him.  

Greta usually wasn't a big fan of sitting on Grandpa Grandpa's lap but there was something about this day... she snuggled right in there and didn't mind one bit.


Nora and Myles always liked to visit.  My Uncle Greg would generally meet us over there.  He would take the kids on rides on Grandpa's motorized wheelchair and take them for walks around the halls where they'd pretend to use the fire extinguishers and put out the fires saving all the people. 

Feeding Cheetos to the turtles.
That's typical food for their diet, right?

There was something so wonderfully perfect about this day -- especially looking back on it. Grandpa was feeling extra energetic and took a ride with us out to the fountain.  

Greta got her toes wet in the fountain.

I snapped a selfie with Grandpa.
My absolute favorite and it warms my heart
just looking at it.

Greta with my Uncle Greg.

Grandpa taking Greta for a ride on the scooter.

Before we headed back inside I snapped a rare picture of all three kids with Grandpa.  And they're all looking! 
Grandpa with his three great grandchildren.
 He was always so proud to tell his friends about them.

This perfect visit would turn out to be their last visit. A short nine days later Grandpa met his creator. Looking back on this visit is something so special to me.  Normally, Grandpa would pass on coming out with us ("oh that's ok... you just go") and Greta would cry if you tried to set her down on his lap.  But none of that happened.  God knew what was going to happen, as He always does, and He gave this visit as a gift to us. For this and many reasons, I thank you Lord. 

We love you and miss you, Grandpa.  The kids still pray for you at night adding, "even though we don't have to pray for you because you're  in heaven with Jesus."  

Thank you for all the Monday pick-ups from the babysitters when I was a kid.  I'm still amazed at your timeliness -- always pulling up at exactly 4:00.  Sometimes 3:59 but never 4:01. And thank you for doing your Saturday morning rounds. We could always count on you at 9am and we count on the bottom of your car scraping the driveway as you backed out.  I feel lucky to have had those times with you.
I hope you're enjoying hearing the birds chirp again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment