Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Advent

Last year, I started the tradition of the Advent Activity Calendar where the kids and I do an activity or act of service every day during advent.  I was looking forward to doing it again this year and had many things planned. Last year we didn't miss a day. This year was different.  

Making Christmas cards to send to our soldiers overseas who can't
be home for Christmas this year.

We missed a handful of days and didn't do all the things I had planned (good thing Nora can't read yet because the cards in the calendar didn't say what we actually did but what they don't know won't hurt them). 

Put up our nativity scene.
Our nativity set looks much different from years past.  Gone (for a while)
are the days of my beautifully hand-painted ceramic set.  There will be a
time for that later.  For now, my kids have the perfect set to hear the
story of baby Jesus.

Honestly, I felt a little guilty about missing days in the beginning.  Then I made the decision to cut  myself some slack.  I have a small baby at home that's very demanding of my time.  My kids are just as happy if we miss days or if we put on Christmas music and dance... again.  So why stress myself out?  I just won't do it.
We still did lots. Scattered throughout the post are some of the things we did.

Hang ornaments on our Christmas tree.


I'm looking forward to all the years of schooling
coming up to get more gems like this one to hang
on our tree from year to year.  



Watching a movie Greta got from St. Nick...
Veggie Tales: a Tale of Joyful Giving

Snowman out of mini marshmallows.

Popping popcorn to make a sweet treat we included
with our cards for the soldiers.

Making our super-secret gift for the grandparents. 

Crafting with the Kojaks.
Color a picture of Santa and give him a beard of
cotton balls!

Mailing our package!

Wrap presents!

Make a Christmas tree using a toilet paper roll.


He was just checking things out.
But we did have dinner by the tree one night too.
We delivered cookies to the fire station to thank them for their service.  They invited us in for a look around!





We also made quite a few cookies, drank hot chocolate with peppermint whip cream, and had a photo shoot for our Christmas cards. 

Tonight is Christmas Eve.  I plan on making "reindeer food" (dry oatmeal with glitter) to sprinkle on the front lawn.  Although this year is bitter cold so we may be just putting it in a bowl for Santa to take out to his reindeer... yeah, that sounds much better. And of course, we will be going to church to begin celebrating the birth of our Savior. Tomorrow, we'll open gifts and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus. Can't wait to see the excitement in their eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment